Although no one knows the exact date of its foundation, it is believed that a small congregation of Augustinian monks established a pilgrim hospital on this site during the 9th century.
Some time between the 12th and the 13th centuries, the hospital was taken over by the Premonstratensian order, with the successive abbots claiming lordship over Urdax and Zugarramurdi until 1785.
Nothing now remains of the medieval construction, and the current buildings date from the 16th to the 18th centuries, the period in which the monastery was at its height.
Over the centuries, the monastery was ravaged by two major fires: one in 1526 when Navarre lost its independence, and then again in 1793, during the Convention in France, when French troops invaded the area and set fire to both the monastery and the town of Urdax. This second fire destroyed the monastery’s great library, which held over 9,000 volumes.
Following the French National Convention (1793-1795), the monks were forced to seek refuge at the Loyola Sanctuary until 1806. Shortly afterwards, in 1839, the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizabal began, in which the Spanish minister of that name expropriated and sold communal goods and goods belonging to the Catholic Church. The monastery was definitively abandoned by the Premonstratensian order and the monastery chapel became the town’s parish church.
Of the old monastery building, only the church and cloister now remain. The cloister, along with a series of other auxiliary rooms, today houses the monastery museum and art exhibition.
The Liturgical Ornaments Museum, established by the Association of Friends of the Urdax-Baztan Santiago Pilgrim Trail, is located in the same set of rooms, alongside the permanent exhibition charting 50 years of Basque painting.